11:00 | Posted by Nim Headland | Category

Yorkshire Pudding



Yorkshire puddings are non-negotiable if you're having roast beef. I've shied away from making my own in the past, due to some less than satisfactory attempts at Toad-in-the-hole. However, we a have beautiful Chateaubriand, the best end of fillet, earmarked for our Christmas dinner. It is coming from the farm I can see from my bedroom window that produces the best beef I have ever eaten. So I figured home made yorkies are needed to sit alongside such a good piece of beef. I have started practicing early! My first attempt was pretty good, with only minimal sogginess. By Christmas I should have them off to a fine art. Next time, I will use Delia Smith's trick of not only heating the roasting tin in the oven beforehand, but having it over a medium hob when I pour in the batter, so he oil is shimmering hot, hopefully resulting in high-rise, perfectly crispy puds, with a softly giving interior. This trick is now included in my recipe.

To serve 6:

125g plain flour, with a generous pinch of salt added.
1 large egg
300ml (1/2 a pint) of milk
Vegetable oil or beef dripping for greasing


Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl, lifting your sieve high to give the flour lots of air. Make a well in the centre and add the egg and a little of the milk. Whisk in, taking a little of the flour from the sides to make a lump free paste. Then slowly add the rest of the milk, incorporating the rest of the flour. You're aiming for a smooth, completely lump free batter. You can leave your batter to rest if you like, but I don't think it's essential, so just leave it until you're ready to cook your puddings.

I'm supposing here that your oven will be on and turned up as you will probably be cooking your Sunday roasting joint, so once you have greased a 6 section muffin tray with oil or beef dripping, slide it into the hot oven and leave it for at least 10 minutes. Put the largest hob on at a medium-high heat and remove the tray from the oven to the hob. Allow the oil to become shimmeringly hot, before carefully pouring your batter into the sections of the muffin tray, the get it back into the oven as quickly as possible. They will take 15-20 minutes to cook, so a good time to put them in is as you are taking the roasting joint out of the oven to rest before serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment