14:35 | Posted by Nim Headland | Category

Amaretto Strawberries





I'm keeping my fingers crossed for warm weather. I hear it's lovely in Superbia, Reading today, but it hasn't reached us in Devon yet. To cheer up grey days and make the most of the very first British strawberries that are gradually filtering into the supermarkets, you could have a go at this awesome recipe from Gino D'acampo's I Diet. I don't 'do' diet books, but there are so many amazing italian recipes in this that I couldn't resist it. I fattened my version up with Greek yoghurt instead of the suggested low-fat plain (booo!).

I first made this in the depths of winter with some poor sad strawberries from Timbuktu or somewhere. I shouldn't have bought them, but there you go. If you are also guilty of buying flavourless, overpriced strawberries out of season, this is the recipe to make them sing. I can't wait to try it with proper English strawberries in July. I think it would be perfect after a BBQ of punchy, smoky flavours.

This is a great friends-for-dinner pudding too, cus you can just chuck it all together in advance, and serve it in some pretty glasses. It looks beautiful. If you're serving lots of people, wack it in a big glass trifle bowl, it'll look just as pretty. You could even puree some extra strawberries with a little sugar and put a layer of that in first, then add crushed amaretti biscuits to the the yoghurt and you've got an easy trifle.

For four people, you'll need:

800g strawberries (that's two supermarket sized packs I think, but you can do it by eye if you're at the PYO, the food police are not going to get you if you have a couple too few or too many)
3 tablespoons amaretto liqueur (Make sure it's Disaronno, don't mess about!)
1 tablespoon runny honey
300g plain Greek yoghurt (or low-fat plain if you're boring, yawn)
A few fresh mint leaves to decorate.

Wash your strawberries and dry well with kitchen roll. Hull and halve them, then chuck in a big bowl. Drizzle over your amaretto and honey and mix well. Leave to marinade for 15 mins, not in the fridge though, you want it at room temperature.

Divide the yoghurt between dessert or large wine glasses (or your trifle bowl) and spoon over the strawberries. Drizzle with the remaining juice/nectar and scatter over your mint. I left mine whole, which looked prettier but was a mistake eating-wise. We all ended up with leaves in our teeth. Not good. I'd chop it next time. You can leave this in the fridge until you are ready for it, but I'd take it out 10 mins or so before you and your guests want their pudding as the cold dulls the flavours a bit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment